Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10: Overall Project Reflection

My SMART goal was to start recycling at my apartment complex. I changed a few things over the past 10 weeks in order make my goal more difficult to attain because it was fairly easy to keep up with recycling my aluminum cans, plastic and glass at first. A few weeks in I decided to start cutting down on the amount of carbonated water I was drinking because not only was it not as healthy as regular water but it also created more recycling then need be. Another thing I added was recycling paper. It was almost like I completely forgot that you can recycle paper as well until the last few weeks.


My SMART goal was very successful. I started something that I will definitely continue doing for quite awhile. I learned that I took advantage of the ease of recycling that I have at my home in the cities. At my house we have a recycling bin and it gets picked up on the end of our driveway once every two weeks. At school I had to make much more of an effort to collect the recycling and then bring it to the recycling center. I really wish that my landlord would have been more receptive to the whole recycling idea but on the other side of things I got my roommate to recycle as well so that was very exciting.

I benefited from doing this eco-chic lifestyle change because it taught me to reduce the amount of waste I leave on earth. I want to be as green as possible and this was a good first step to take. It's always really easy to do something when you have the resources necessary around you to do it. I learned how to be proactive and find the resources needed to recycle when I didn't have a pick up schedule that made it easy for me.

I am really glad that my roommate decided to adopt this lifestyle change as well. It was so nice to see how much less trash we produced when we started keeping a recycling bin. It made me happy that I was able to influence someone else in my life even if it was only one person. I look forward to continuing this behavior and hope to influence some of the other people in my apartment complex. Or at least spark their interest when I walk out of my apartment with a few bags full of recyclable items.

For other people who are interested in making a lifestyle change I would say that no matter what your goal is don't get too comfortable with it or get discouraged if you don't meet your goal. It is important to make your goal a challenge so if you see yourself consistently meeting your goal don't be afraid to make it more difficult. Also, don't get discouraged if you don't meet your goal if you need to make a change or just try again the following week.

I am looking forward to continuing my lifestyle change for years to come!!! Hope you had a good time following my experience.

Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 10 hosted by Amy@Eco-Chic with Amy.

3 comments:

  1. Good tips for others who want to make a goal like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really great that you did so well on your goal and want to continue it in the future, and also good job involving your roommate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome and thats awesome you will continue it!

    ReplyDelete