Friday, December 11, 2009

Read 'n' Seed 6: Final Review of "How to Shit in the Wood" and "It's Easy Being Green"


Overview of the books:

"How to Shit in the Woods," taught the reader how to properly crap in the wilderness, however while doing this the author also presents many of the hazards and risks that are associated with thousands of years of crapping by millions of different species. The author also talks about common diseases that have become much more popular over the last few decades. Two of the diseases that were talked about in detail were Giardia and Cryptosporidium. The author also talked about many different types of tools you can buy to avoid crapping in the woods or disposing of unsafe materials.
"It's Easy Being Green," had many different ideas as to how to improve your everyday life in order to live a more green life. /One of the most interesting part of the books I thought was when many of the myths about living green were dispelled.


Three most significant things:

1. From "How to Shit in the Woods," according to the Federal Center for Disease Control and Prevention no surface water is guaranteed free of the microscopic organisms that parasitic diseases. Giardia and Cryptosporidium are two of the most common diseases.
2. From "How to Shit in the Woods," one form of disinfecting water is boiling. Contrary to previous beliefs this is now thought to kill all waterborne enteric pathogens immediately. Other chemical forms used to disinfect water are chlorine and iodine. Both of these techniques have there down falls, which is why purchasing a filter or boiling is now recommended.
3. From "It's Easy Being Green," this is one of the most important things people who are interested in going green should realize, a myth dispelled:
  • Nothing I do will make a difference if no one else is doing anything
    • every act when multiplied over many days and many people  will produce positive results
    • even if changes can't always be seen, they are still always occurring
    • by making changes you can encourage the people around you to do the same

What do these books mean to me? Why are they important?

"How to Shit in the Woods," taught me a lot about a topic that I previously had no knowledge of. I never knew that people disposing of there fecal matter in the woods could be so detrimental to our woods and health. "It's Easy Being Green," showed me a lot of different ways in which I can make subtle changes in my life to be more environmentally friendly. The book also put to rest a lot of myths that hold people back from "going green." For this reason it was really nice to see them identify that everything you do is contributing to a better, healthy, world.

Do I recommend these books? Why of why not?

I would definitely recommend reading "How to Shit in the Woods," it is absolutely hilarious and it is written in a very laid back tone. I also learned a lot about the importance of properly disposing of EVERYTHING when you are in the wilderness.
I would still recommend reading "It's Easy Being Green," because there are a lot of good ideas in the text. However, out of the two I would recommend reading "How to Shit in the Woods."

3 comments:

  1. I might have to look into "How to Shit in the Woods"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like both the books you read were really interesting, and I think I might have to check out How to Shit in the Woods also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also will have to check out the "How to shit in the woods" sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete