Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My SMART Goal

SMART Goal:
My SMART goal is to start recycling glass, paper, plastic, and aluminum at my apartment complex. Where I currently live trash is picked up multiple times throughout the week however, there is not an option to recycle. I would like to start collecting the materials that are recyclable and dispose of them at a recycling center.

There are many benefits of recycling the biggest being that it will save money and create jobs with its growing popularity. Other interesting facts about recycling are:
  • The energy we save when we recycle one glass bottle is enough to light a light bulb for four hours.
  • A national recycling rate of 30% reduces greenhouse gas emissions as much as removing nearly 25 million cars from the road. 
  • Recycling prevents habitat destruction, loss of biodiversity, and soil erosion associated with logging and mining. 
From the second I moved into my apartment I had an issue with the fact that the landlords did not offer the option to recycle. Up to this point I haven't done anything about it and I am excited to finally make this change and start living a more eco-chic lifestyle.

Tonight I started to make the first changes necessary to reach my goal; I went to Target and purchased another trash can that I can place all my recyclable items in.  My roommate will also be partcipating in this change which means twice as many items will be being recycled. :)

Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1 hosted by Amy@Eco-Chic with Amy.

3 comments:

  1. That is really strange that you don't have recycling at your apartment it seems that its almost standard now. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think it is bizarre you don't get a recylcing option at your apartment too. There is one at my apartment complex but I don't think it is followed too closely. I always see things that don't belong in there. But good job including your roommate in the change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the last comments. I have been having huge computer problems. I think this is a really cool thing to do and hope the best of luck

    ReplyDelete