Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eye Opener: Ecological Footprint

This assignment was extremely interesting and scary at the same time. We are using up the earths resources faster than it can produce them. I have known for awhile now that the United States as a whole uses more resources than most other countries. However, I never really put myself in the category of being one of "those people" that heavily contributes the eventual running out of Earths resources.

Boy was I wrong!!!

I took a quiz called the Redefining Progress and was alarmed by my results. I thought that I would be about average when it comes to the ecological footprint that I leave (1.5 earths on average). Again I couldn't have been more mistaken my quiz results were very upsetting as I found that if everyone lived my lifestyle we would need 5.32 Earths. I definitely want to change my behaviors in order to change this number. I already have a few ideas as to how I can start living more environmentally friendly. First I will start carpooling more often to school in order to reduce CO2 emissions. I will also start recycling in order to reduce the amount of trash I create. I look forward to finding more ways I can live green in the books I will be reading throughout the semester.

2 comments:

  1. I felt I had a real eye opener too. I guess we all have small things we can change to do our part.

    ReplyDelete