Monday, October 12, 2009

Eye Opener: CSIP

For this weeks eye opener I took the Score Your Diet test. This test scores how your diet rates as far as nutrition, the environment and animal welfare. I was surprised by my results because I scored well in the health category but poorly in the environmental and animal welfare categories.

I scored the highest with my fruit and vegetable intake. I was somewhat surprised that this was my highest score (14, 27 respectfully) because I do not meet the daily requirements for either of these categories. I do however meet the requirements for bread and chicken/turkey (9, -8 respectfully). Obviously a lot more importance is placed on eating fruits and vegetables then it is some of the other categories that can be found on the score your diet check-list.

I scored the lowest on my cheese and milk/dairy intake. According to this test I am eating way to many dairy products and that is consequently more harsh on the environment and animal welfare than foods like fruit and bread.

The category that I need the most improvement in is environmental health. In this category I scored a -34 which is in the uh oh category. To improve this number I will make a few subtle changes that will hopefully improve my environmental score. A small change that I would like to make is to start purchasing low-fat dairy items (especially cheese) as well as cut down on the amount of dairy I am taking in each week. I think that if I do both of these and stick with it my overall environmental score will go down.

3 comments:

  1. I did this test too and was also shocked. I also need to buy low-fat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little afraid to do this test, to realize how bad my diet might have been. But I went back and did it later and it wasn't too bad. I didn't score very well on the animal welfare part either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I was afraid to take this test to. Its awesome your trying to make changes though

    ReplyDelete