Saturday, November 7, 2009

Share & Voice: Don't Take Today For Granted

This is one of the hardest things that I have ever written about. I was contemplating even posting about this, but I thought that if one person changes because of what I am writing it will be well worth it.

Today I was heading from school to my home in the Twin Cities. I was about 15 miles north of Hinkley when I saw an object flying airborne from the north bound lane into the south bound lane. It took me a minute to realize that it was a car flying through the air, flipping and turning. Eventually it stopped on the other side of the highway 35 (about 40 ft from where it first was airborne). I still had enough time to stop and I was the first one on the scene.

I was hesitant to go towards the vehicle (which was a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top) because I knew what I was going to see was going to be horrific. I motioned to the lady who stopped behind me to dial 911 and then ran towards the accident. Because of the soft top vehicle everything was very open, in fact I don't even remember if the roll bars were still intact. I won't go into too many details because they are too gruesome to post. The first thing I did was take off my sweatshirt to try and stop the severe head bleeding, then took his pulse. He had an extremely weak pulse which stopped about 20 seconds later. At that time another man showed up on the scene but it was too late, the driver died on impact or shortly after.

I have been thinking about a lot today wondering how it happened, if the victim had a family, if he felt anything?

But the thing that I have been thinking about the most is how thankful I am to have today. How thankful I am to have my family and friends. How thankful I am to be able to hug my parents and tell them "I love them." Tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us, today is the first time I truly realized this.

I do not know what caused the accident, considering the conditions, I am thinking the driver may have been distracted by something. Which brings me to my last thought, I know I am extremely guilty of sending a quick text while driving, or taking my hands of the wheel for one reason or another. What I saw today shows me that none of that is worth it. Driving is such a dangerous privilege and I hope that those of you reading this realize that it takes one second to lose control and another to lose your life.

Make sure you tell the people close to you that you love them today, tomorrow and always. And please be extra cautious when driving!

16 comments:

  1. Wow very scary. It really does make you stop and think about everything you are thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The person you tried to help was the best friend of my co-worker. They still don't know a cause. I wish there were more people in the world who would think of others over themselves like you. Knowing what you were going to see you still went because someone was in need. Bless you.

    http://www.austindailyherald.com/obits/2009/nov/09/chad-nelson/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping and trying to help. Chad was my best friend and loved by a lot of people. I hope you don't mind me sharing this with his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I was informed of your blog by a friend, I am Marsha Nelson, it was my husband Chad Nelson, who died that day:) I just want to THANK YOU for trying to save him!! I miss him a great deal, he was a wonderful man. It is comforting to know that someone was there with him. We had his funeral service on Wed. Nov. 11th. If you would like to see his obituary (sorry don't know if that is too depressing) you can check out www.worlein.com.
    I do not know if you are also aware of an article under the Saints section in the St. Paul pioneer press last Sat. You might want to check it out if you have not seen it already. If you cannot find it please let me know and I can send you a link. THANKS AGAIN FOR BEING THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristin,

    Chad was a dear friend to my husband and me. He was a fun, caring guy who truly tried to make a difference through his friendships and his profession. It is hard to read your post, but nice to know that someone was there with him in the end and tried to help. Your message of not taking things for granted is so important and unfortunately for Chad's friends and family, we were reminded of it in a tragic way. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin,

    I am Chad's wife (Marsha) sister Melissa. Thanks for sharing your story. I often wonder about the people who saw the accident and who was first to be on the scene. Thanks for stopping and trying to do whatever you could to help.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to also say that it is very comforting to know that someone was at Chad's side when he passed. Since the accident I can't get him or Marsha out of my mind. I keep thinking what happened, why, how, how could God let it happen. Of course, I keep saying it's so not fair, and just can't rationalize it in my head. Thank you so much for caring enough to stop and help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristin,

    I can only conclude that you were the woman in the UMD sweatshirt that is referred to in the "Tainted & Sainted" section of the Pioneer Press on Nov. 14th. You are amazing.
    Thank you for trying to help our good friend Chad. He would have responded exactly like you had he been faced w/ your situation. He was an incredible guy. So funny, caring and thoughtful of everyone around him. Especially his wife, dogs and friends.
    Thank you for being so caring, thoughtful and respectful as the first responder.
    Your blog has brought alot of us comfort.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristen,
    thank you for you concern & how much you helped. My brother is best friends with Chad. I am a nurse & I commend you on your actions. It is a difficult & hard time for all, my heart goes out to Marsha, Marsha.
    I think many are picking up the pieces to go on. Chad always had a smile, caring, & just all around a neat guy. In his difficult job as a psychologist he was trying to do some good in this world. I appreciate you posting this. I think it helps to heal & cry.

    You are truly a saint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa, im glad a earthling was on scene with him thankyou for sharing the story with us,marsha has been my mentor for the past couple years, and a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless you, Kristin, you are an angel. Chad was lucky to have you at his side when he left this world! Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin,
    It has been two weeks since Chad left so many of us who love him; it still seems so surreal. I am a friend of Chad, as well as a colleague. I can honestly say the world lost an incredible person that day and my profession also suffered a great loss.
    I, too, questioned what Chad experienced in those last few moments, but I find I stop the thought out of fear and sadness. However, I wondered who was the first person to arrive by Chad's side. Kristin, thank you for your courage, selflessness, and love. You could have kept driving, but instead, you stopped to help a stranger. That is exactly what Chad would have done for someone. Bless you, Chad, Chad's family and friends. You have brought comfort to so many people with your good will, Kristin. Thank you.
    We miss you, Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this story touch me i am so friend's with Chad wife marsha, i was there when the police gave her the news it hurt me so bad just to feel what she was feeling at that point. I want to thank you to this really makes me think to about life how fast or slow in come in the world and how fast or slow you leave it too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kristin,

    I'm Marsha's sister Renea,Thanks so much for stopping and trying to help my brother in-law Chad, and thanks for sharing this with us.

    we miss him deeply,May GOD BLESS you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feb 14th Valentines Day
    Kristin,

    Not sure if you will see this, but I am Chad's Mom and up until now I have not been able to read this blog about the accident. My daughter in law, Marsha, told me about the site way back in November.

    Chad was not only my son, but my best friend. I was right out of high school when he was born and we really grew up together. He was always a warm gentle person and really cared about others and living life to the fullest.

    My husband and I had just moved to Florida and had been here a week living in the house Chad and his wife Marsha had purchased,as an investment, but also for a place for us to retire until we passed on and then possibly they would move down later in life. Then the accident happened. How I so wish it could have been me instead of Chad. So young and so full of potential in making this world a better place.

    The one thing that has really been bothering me is that, being his Mom, and bringing him life, but not being there to be with him in death. Just doesn't seem right. I know he knew how much I loved him.

    I just want to say "Thank you for being there in my place"

    Deb Torvick
    jtorvick@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete